View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #29
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: What do you think happened to LPmuds?

Umm. Yes? lol Seriously, even modified TMI-2 has issues. Unmodified.. I don't even want to think about the nightmare it was to look at when I tried to work out what it did. MudOS isn't exactly a spring chicken either. Its almost the oldest one around (almost), and there are a lot of things about it that could be improved, not to mention other that only sort of got added later, including DB support, which *most* muds never bothered to use, since it wasn't something they, at the time, needed or knew how to take advantage of.

Yep. And that is a "huge" issue. Interestingly I think one of the issues is *actually* the fact that is uses a form of C. It wasn't ever really a user-friendly language to start with, but its got stuffed into the role of being used to code stuff for what "requires" usability code wise. Then again, I would likely have similar issue with someone using Java, which I also think is a bit annoying in the same ways. But, that goes back to the library. You need something where creative design of the "idea" can be done with little or no coding. Much of the rewrite of TMI-2 that got done on AoD, I think, may have been simplification of some of the room design requirements, and other similar stuff. Imho, unless you have script that needs to make an NPC or a room do something odd, it never really made sense to have to "code" them. Put it in a DB, or generate a DB entry from code, maybe, but, in practical terms, once you know what your rooms need to look like, what npcs look like, how your combat works, etc., there just isn't any damn reason to not just make everything, except the extra script needed to "change" that behavior in specific cases, be written in C. It makes it hard to learn, hard to change, etc. And, it tends to make it harder for people to learn how to do the basics, so they can go on to the advanced stuff they "wanted" to do in the first place.

As I said, I am not quite certain what the problem actually was, or how it was fixed. Maybe they where using floats to store it, or signed integers. One would automatically end up with precision issues, while the later would cut your available values in half. But, people where getting into like 2.5 billion exp and more when things started to go fubar on them.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote