View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Jherlen

Jherlen is on a distinguished road
Re: I'm looking for a new home; RP enforced

I highly recommend Armageddon, as we have most of what you're looking for. Armageddon is roleplay enforced, and has an extremely detailed setting with 20 years of in game history and stories to flesh it out. When you say you'd like a complex atmosphere, Armageddon delivers that in spades, with multiple developed tribal and city-state cultures to learn and explore. Room, NPC and object descriptions are all held to a very high standard of writing to help the world feel immersive.

You mentioned wanting a detailed magick system, a wide selection of races and supernatural elements, all of which Armageddon features, but not exactly front and center. Magick is extremely powerful and most specifics about it are kept as both IC and OOC secrets; mage guilds are restricted from new players until they've shown they understand the setting. Playing as a non-human race is not recommended at first, because racism is very prevalent in the game world, and being an elf or dwarf can severely cramp opportunities for a character, which can make it hard to get involved and learn the game. You also mentioned wanting a classless system, which Armageddon does not feature, although there are no "levels" or "experience" to grind out. Class is treated as an OOC construct, so you won't find a Burglar's Guild or PCs walking up and saying "I am a Warrior" either.

Newworlds makes a comment that Armageddon is not a simple system codedly, which I'll partly agree and partly disagree with. Armageddon is a DIKU derivative, so in terms of coded systems like combat, it's pretty standard - no need to set up complicated aliases and triggers to switch between fighting stances and formations and so on. The emoting code does seem complex at first, but this is one of Armageddon's biggest strengths in my opinion, because almost any coded action - (say, shout, drink, eat, sit, stand, sleep, wear, remove, give, put, ...) can be wrapped in an emote. This has the effect of making Armageddon logs almost read like a novel, since players can and do wrap most of what they do in emoted text while still achieving a coded result.

The main "complexity" in Armageddon in terms of a coded perspective is permadeath. You will die - and die quickly, if you aren't careful. Once your character is dead in Armageddon, that's it - start a new character. If you're looking to hack and slash, Armageddon probably isn't the game to try. The upside of permadeath is its affect on plots - secrets can be kept by murder or threat of murder, feuds are final, tragedy happens, and no one is invincible.

I invite you to check us out at , and if you have more questions, you can click the "Get Live Help" button, where volunteer player helpers can assist you. Hope you find a good home, whatever you choose!

Last edited by Jherlen : 01-03-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Jherlen is offline   Reply With Quote