View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 06:44 PM   #78
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road
I've often wondered why there is such an outcry in defense of the DIKU license in the MUD community while at the same time we routinely ignore the IP rights of authors.

How are the majority of the Star Wars, Star Trek, Forgotten Realms, Wheel of Time, World of Darkness, Dragon Ball, Buffy - The Vampire Slayer, Firefly and I have no idea how many other MUDs seemingly unaffected by the copyright and IP issues that seem to run rampant in the DIKU world? Why is it that the MUD Community doesn't appear to care about these potential abuses of copyright?

It seems we have two sets of standards - one for code and one for published works. Should that really be the case. For those of you who jump at any chance to point out those who may violate the DIKU license, why do you limit yourself to the IP rights of only that one group? Its possible I've missed posts regarding other IP issues or that there may be some special "use for on-line gaming" clause that I'm not familiar with, and if that's the case I'd like to hear a little about that as well.

Safe Journies
Sombalance
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote