View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #56
Butler

Home MUD: Aardwolf
Butler is on a distinguished road
Re: Do MUDs need to be "brought into the 21st century"

Why are you all hung up on "i'll lose my players ((((("

You don't need a "tweeny". Simple solution : Graphics mode/ Text mode. Graphics modes gives you basic gui, that simply out puts the same as a command, with a respective delay, and text mode gives you the full MUD shebang.

There IS an intermediate state between Graphics games and MUDs. Dont pretend there isnt. Your just kicking your self in the teeth. If you still dont get it, ill make a bloody mock screenshot. With captions.

As for the people Jazuela want in MUDs. I believe you have NO idea about the type of people that are the audience for games. I will admit, i was sceptical of MUDs, and i'm litterally what you described as the type of people you wanted to have come into MUDs. But your first impression will always be how something looks or sounds. I didnt come to MUDs except for the reason that ithey didnt use port 2000, so i could bypass my firewall.

Not particular about what they play: They go for what looks like the best game.
Do your games appear alongside others in magaizines : No
Do your games appear alongside others on google: erm...Not obiviously
Do your games get actively discussed outside the small community: Not really
How in Gods name do you think they'll get to MUDs????? They have to go past about 50 games to find the slightest wiff of a MUD, and ALL those games will have an active community that'll try and draw in the prospective player. So, well, again, Advertisement is a key issue.

Oh well that, about players active. Again, i can count about 10 **** games with 5 times the community online at a time. Do you want a proper, well sized community?

Really, few of you are actually understanding whats the issue. Those that do, will, if they execute of good plan, ultimately succed in gaining a true foothold in the niche market. Hell, if you did it right, you could probably live off earnings from the games. Use kickstarter to fund updates, contact webblogs, create graphic face. All have a better chance than just sitting there. If you feel theres no issue, then thats fine. But since the person who drew the issue up is a Developer of a P2P game (as far as i can gather) then there is obiviously concerns. If he thinks there is a concern about gaining new players, he would have a better knowledge than you, as he will have stats of logins over the games history, and against certain direction the game took.

Stop thinking about your games as your child, who you reared, and want to keep safe and familiar. Stop thinking in your normal mind, and thing like a Commercial Developer, PR person or Marketer. If you dont, no new ground will be gained, and itll shrink, as players die, get old, bored or banned. Obviously you'll always have a small amount of new players, but staying content with them, is just living on borowed time.

Yes, this is negative, but if you look at it in a different direction, you'll never get the correct answers. Your just too used to how things are, and content just adding content to the games. MMOs are always fighting to gain new ground in all genres of the gaming market, so why dont MUDs fight as well, when you have so much to offer.

((I suggest rereading my two posts, and properly considering the ideas. Just using the same disagreementsas stated before just won't convince me, but actual well thought through posts with explained reasons would be a lovely progression on top of the "we dont want to change" against me and plazmi))
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote