View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 04:49 AM   #44
tommi

tommi is on a distinguished road
Re: New mud client in the works: ScapeFx

No, what you said was,

Which says you consider all MUSHclient users to be inbreeds. Maybe you would like to retract the derogatory statement?

Interesting you should bring that up, sure my own research showed that 12 year olds do not understand enough about the telnet protocol to be able to use MUSHclient to connect to a mud, this is primarily due to them not ever having exposure to the protocol. What they did understand however were the mechanics associated with MMO's download client, install client, click icon to start client and then be in chargen. When presented with client mechanics they understand, even 12 year olds can connect to a mud, progress through chargen and play the game.

At the time i did not know that MUSHclient could be redistributed and configured in such a manner as i was not a user of that client, i had been a Portal GT user for many years and was going to license that client for my game as i liked the simplicity of and used extensively within my code the MIP protocol. which dealt with routing of data to separate windows, the displaying of status bars and gauges, the displaying of images and the playing of sounds. These things should be bog standard features of any client that is offering a rich client experience.

So far you have not shown that you're offering US $350 per year worth of additional functionality over the products you're competing against.

There are not a lot of mud owners who do any actual outreach and promotion in ways to grow new players that are not current mudders, there is IRE and a few others, but other than that, the vast majority of them work by word of mouth or promotion within the existing mud community. Existing mudders are rather precious when it comes to the client they use and are reluctant to change, so the real worth of Scrape is with targetting non mudders. This leaves you in a real predicament, because you have a potentially great product that has no real market. Unless you can convince mud owners to try and tap into the vast amount of casual gamers, like the 500,000 players of Farmville on Facebook for example, converting 1% of those would amount to a huge influx of mudders.
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote