View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #59
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Do MUDs need to be "brought into the 21st century"

Most advertising costs money. Most MUDs do not, and cannot, charge their players money to play due to licensing agreement of the code. As a result, most MUDs don't have the financial resources required to buy advertising.

I -do- see players promoting their muds in forums outside TMS and TMC and similar, and I've made a few attempts to promote in other forums. But I don't go to college so I can't put a flyer on a college dorm bulletin board. I've heard some people do that. And I don't LARP or buy components from game stores for D&D or other hobbies, so I can't ask the local game store proprietor if I can tape a flyer up on his store window.

Those are pretty much the only ways people -can- advertise, for most muds, due to financial constraints. There used to be a gaming magazine dedicated mostly to first-person games (like Mechawars or whatever), and Simutronics had a couple articles about them in it, to promote GemStone. But that magazine went kablooie, and I no longer play GemStone, so I don't know what other efforts they're making to advertise their games. They certainly have no presence here, and yet they continue to be profitable.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote