View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
ArchPrime

Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
ArchPrime is on a distinguished road
Re: Design and Success

I agree 110%. There is no reason not to present your textual world in a more interesting fashion by doing everything Kylotan mentions; add to that things like different font sizes, a GUIl minimap, GUI health bars and other GUI elements meant to enhance game-play. Done right, you'll still have all the 'imagination driven' world enjoyment written text provides coupled with the ease of use elements that GUIs provide. Obviously none of this will 'fix' the issues the OP made regarding an incoherent world, etc.

I've read for many, many years that MU*s are dieing, and have also read for nearly that same amount of years evidence to the contrary. However, with more and more easily accessible graphical, massively multi-player online games coming out, it appears that it is time to evolve... or end up rustic piles of code that only compel an apparently shrinking 'core userbase'.

Perhaps this thread will go down with the rest of the 'Are MUDS dieing?" discussions that have happened over the years. Perhaps not.

Back on track though -- Design and success do not necessarily go together -- I'm casting my vote to luck, as I doubt that most of the successful MU*s have put together 'good, professional designs'.

Last edited by ArchPrime : 09-28-2008 at 03:09 PM.
ArchPrime is offline   Reply With Quote