View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
nass

nass is on a distinguished road
Re: muds doing things differently

Good topic, something I'm very interested in too

Because MUDs are so confusing when you start, I added a new java client onto our website which basically has all the newbiecommands on buttons marked start1/start2 etc, with instructions for newbies to press each one in turn.

What it does is deactivate anything which adds to spam - so hopefully it's as "un" confusing as possible, and does all the steps neccessary to get to somewhere where there are likely to be other MUD players (a fountain in a town).

Early days yet, we'll see how well it works...

But I think it's one of those things really worth working on, those first 1-2 minutes, to make the whole experience as unconfusing and pleasant as possible. Ie make it so that there are as few reasons for people to "bail out" of the process as possible.

It'll be interesting to see how well batmud's new client works out, for example, with its graphical aspects. Does it make the process easier? Does it make for a more sticky process?

Likewise, maybe the answer is to add a module which shows an in-game map, so a player has a reference where they are from the first second.

Last edited by nass : 03-22-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: adding batmud
nass is offline   Reply With Quote