View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
While I know the IRE system, I'll let one of their guys explain it.

Persistent Realms first game, Ilyrias, will focus on politics, customization and PvP. We will use a pay-for-perks system. What we will sell is called Angelstone, for IG purposes this is an extremely rare mineral with semi-magical properties.

Player crafters, which almost everything will be player built, can use it for different things. A forger could augment weapons and armour to increase it's strength(to a certain point) and make it so it never breaks or decays. An enchanter could use it in some of his more powerful enchantments, or an alchemist could grind it down to make potions. Two such potions are learning ones(more lessons to increase skills faster, only so many can be drank a day) and a potion of bonding(dip player created item into potion, sip potion it resets to you). A locksmith could make an unpickable lock, a carpenter could make unbreakable doors. And many other things.

There will also be a NPC Master enchanter that can enchant spells into items that are beyond the powers of a player, and he will charge Angelstone to do it. In order to enchant an item, it must be player crafted, and already enchanted by a player to be non-decay.

One other thing we have planned, to fit in with our heavy focus on customization(to the point of player created city-states, though that is the hardest one to accomplish), players can purchase the right to design their own skillsets. To even have the chance they must be the leader of a large(and active) organization(be it a clan, city, order, guild, etc all of which are player created and managed), and then purchase the license to design a new skillset. We will work with the players to design the skillset, and give them up to three resubmits. Obviously we will be worried about originality of the skills, if it fits thier RP and the world of Ilyrias, and over all balance. After three submits, we will do what we can to keep their original intention but will modify it as needed to fit the world and for balance. Skills bought in this manner(besides those that we design and add on our own) will remain limited to that organization only(we have a classless system) for a certain length of time(atleast six RL months), and then will become a public skill(as in anyone can choose it). Certain organizations can get skills that stay theirs forever, such as a Divine Order that is building a skill specifically for their god(though it will sap some of the gods power as well).

Angelstone, being a mineral/ore, can be mined IG. It will be rare and hard to find, and hard to actually mine without destroying it. The way our skill system works, you will have to mine a certain type of ore a lot to get better at doing it. It will be possible, and I expect in time there will be some people that spend most of their time trying to find and mine it. No, there will be no set amount of Angelstone that can be mined, it will be purely random. If the player is in the right type of environment for it, and is strong enough in mining, he could just find it(granted he'd have to be pretty lucky too).

The most common ways to get Angelstone will be buying it, from us or for gold from other players. Aside from that there will be contests, lotteries, etc where you can have a chance to win it and also things such as mortal building that you can earn it.

Wow, that was a huge post... I hope that gives you a good idea of what types of things we will sell, and what advantages it does give. Of course, we will give ways for non-paying people to gather Angelstone on their own. It will be a time versus money situation. If you have the time, you can earn Angelstone IG without spending anything, if you don't have the time you can purchase it to get a heads up. Keep in mind that our PvP system is designed that player skill, to include skill level/persons ability/and effectiveness(gained through usage of that ability), will be what wins the fight. Even if you spend a ton of money, you will not become a godly fighter over night, you'll still have to learn and work at it to become good. The only place that the money will make a difference, is between two people of equal knowledge(ability).
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote