View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Re: What Does "Fair" Mean?

Everyone has time. Not everyone can spend it playing a game. This is a choice, and if you choose to spend your time raising a family then I say more power to you (it's one I'll get around to at some point hopefully, and I'll come down heavily on the side of raising a family). Some people choose to spend their time on a career, some on a family, some on both. The question becomes one which is being asked increasingly in the gaming community (I think): Is competitive gaming a sport? If it is, then my example stands and you can't expect to compete with someone who dedicates their life to playing the game when you've made the choice to raise a family, just like you can't expect to wander down to your local golf course and be on the same level as Tiger Woods. If it isn't and it's just a hobby, then why are you so determined to be on an equal footing with people who have more time than you? Playing games online is a hobby of mine. I don't spend a lot of time doing it compared to some people, so I'm not as good as them at it. Why should I be able to spend money (which someone else may not have) just to be on an equal footing with them? Does that not devalue the time and effort those people have put in? What is it about society today that demands everyone become equal at everything? These are the questions I find most interesting, and it's good to read all your replies thus far
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote