View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
MarshP

Name: Marsh
MarshP is on a distinguished road
Various newb & RP Qs

I know this isn't an intro thread, so I'll give just a potted history of relevant facts for the questions I have:

- I'm not exactly new to MUDs, being of-a-certain-age and in and out of various MU* since 1989. Never with one for long though.

- I've had a pretty constant presence on various BattleTech MU* for all that time.

- Now I'd like to do more RP, since I don't get to pen&paper RP much any more, with parental and work commitments.

So this is part LFM, part LFC, part 'What do you experienced players
do about...'

First I need a client for my windows machine, for those games without their own. I suspect the clients around a few years ago aren't the best today. Or is it still ZMud/SimpleMu/Mushclient? What do people recommend? I'm happy try something that's not free, and it can be very configurable and scriptable, so long as it has a gentle initial learning curve, and really good documentation. It should be flexible for use across lots of codebases. In an ideal world I could use it on my Linux box, too, but that's not a must.

Edit: Having looked into the current --and same old, I might add-- batch, only CMUD and MUSHclient stand out as being in active development and ticking all my boxes. The question then becomes, can CMUD really be the better of the two by $20 worth of value? Even by $10, assuming I make a donation to MUSHclient?

Next I need to find out more about good MUD RPing. I think I can find a good RP MUD from all the other helpful replies to LFM posts. But once I have, I want to RP well. Are there any good resources specifically aimed at good MUD RPing? Something to help me translate pen&paper techniques to a written environment?

Despite all my years at the keyboard, I can't touch type. I can move at a fair pace, but I have to look at the keyboard. Is this going to cripple me as a MUDer?

Final question for now, I promise: as a straw poll among thse playing for a few years - are you active on more than one MUD? If so, how many? Or do you gravitate mainly to one? I'm deciding whether to do a bunch of chargen and tutorials, then weed out some, else just start with one game and give it a month or two before moving on... (I see new_worlds has tackled this in a sticky elsewhere. Is that still sound advice when I'm not sure of genre?)

Phew. Sorry to ask so much at once. Thanks for reading.
Marsh

Last edited by MarshP : 11-21-2011 at 07:51 AM.
MarshP is offline   Reply With Quote