Thread: Death
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
Blay

Home MUD: Achaea
Blay is on a distinguished road
Re: Death

I couldn't have said any of that better myself. Yes, there should be some sort of down side to dying in a RP based MUD. However, as a player, I don't want to spend tons of time trying to get back to where I was to begin with. Most RP muds are centered around some sort of conflict. Whether that conflict is wars that characters fight to the death or political struggles, conflict itself is what keeps muds interesting. When a player has to go through the trouble of avoiding pk conflict because of the ridiculous consequence they'll have to deal with afterwards, it takes a lot away from where they could take that character RP-wise. It pretty much stifles a lot of RP. You remove conflict from a game and I guarantee you'll see one of two things. Players will go to RP extremes in order to catch a tiny glimpse of excitement (ruining their characters in the process) or the mud will simply stop growing.

He's absolutely right though. Muds are games. Games are supposed to present challenge along with fun/entertainment. When it gets to the point that you're frustrated more than having fun, it's time to find another hobby.

As for the bolded part, you mentioned drifting from muds. I'm not that experienced with the gaming community aside from putting a few years into one particular mud. The rest is basically lost on me. Have you found something better? If so, send me a quick message about it!
Blay is offline   Reply With Quote