View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 05:39 AM   #85
Parhelion

Name: Sarah
Home MUD: Ethos
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

I recommended Shadows of Isildur to an individual new to MUDing no more than 48 hours ago.

I later recommended he check Armageddon MUD, Accursed Lands (non-RPI), and Iron Realms (which I actually actively boycott) because I believe he may find them fun.

I do recognize that not everyone agrees with my definition of fun; however, I stand by my opinions voiced during the "are chat channels necessary" discussion because I have yet to be handed the research I requested.

Your sly attempt of going, "Teehee, I'm better than the are!" just failed. Good try, though.

Hehehe. I got a chuckle out of this simply because someone else said almost this very thing to me about NWA's postings this morning in an off-topic discussion.

Some people don't need to proverbially hear the sound of their own voice to know they are contributing to the community as a whole.

It's probably because it's 2am, but I didn't quite understand this statement.

Due to my work with the RPMud Network, I have come to accept the definition of "RPI" to mean a game that meets certain qualifiers: as such, I am going to continue promoting that definition. That definition does, in fact, include Armageddon-Styed MUDs. (I would like to a list of qualifiers, but I'm posting against the clock! -- Laptop battery is dying fast.)

The term as it is most popularly pushed does not refer to the codebase.

It actually refers to a set of criterion that MUDs must meet. What that criteria IS precisely is what is most often debated, because many MUDs "almost" make the list and then debate the points on which they fall short. The term suffers mostly because it became synonymous with "success", when it actually has nothing to do with that.

An example of criteria includes a total lack of OOC channels (thus the channel debate); pure/mandator permadeath; involved character applications; etc...

And again, I will admit that I personally will continue to push that set of criteria, as there is no sense in trying to dilute it or change and make MUD categorization more "nebulous" or confusing as it already is. There are other ways to describe other types of games (such as RPE, or the token recently introduced by Proff "RPO" to describe RP MUDs that have been heavily modified to be unique but have a different feature set than the RPIs).

EDITED -- I managed to catch up on this thread with some time to spare, so I went and grabbed the current list of features which would be required for any game to be categorized as an "RPI" on the RPMud Network. (And yes, since this site is outside of that network, no one is required to follow them or even acknowledge them here... but when I say "RPI", this is what I mean.)

Last edited by Parhelion : 09-12-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote