View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 06:02 AM   #216
Hadoryu

Hadoryu is on a distinguished road
I'm sad to see that I apparently "have a lot to learn about MUDs" and find it unfortunate to have to defend my credibility. Anyway, I've been MUDing for 7 years, I've learnt a thing or two about what it means. Every single MUD out there that contains items and currency of tangible value (i.e. they take time or skill to acquire) is de facto a pay-for-perks MUD. Not de jure. What IRE has basically done is say "We know time is money to people - so instead of letting other players profit by providing these services , we'll do it ourselves." Claiming that pay-for-perks is somehow unethical is hypocritical at best. Every MUD out there that was worth playing has seen players advance through the use of money.

I also don't see what RPIs have to do with this at all. Obviously if there's no statistical advantage to gain, pay-for-perks or balance make absolutely no difference.

As for PVP, I can't possibly agree with what's been said about IRE's system. Skill goes an extremely long way in IRE PVP and usually compensates for any statistical disadvantages. The heralded levelless PVP MUDs I've been to usually end up depending on something like power-levels or skill levels instead - few are ACTUALLY levelless. And a system that doesn't at all depend on stats would undoubtedly be a very boring one. The playing field is never level in MUDs - this is once again from experience. If you can invest less time in gaining levels and gold and quest points and so on and so on you'll be at a disadvantage and I've yet to see a fighting system this capable of allowing skill to trump stats.

DonathinFrye, as for the definition of 'free' that you so vehemently insist must not apply to a pay-for-perks system - any MUD out there requires a large investment of time to play. Time is money. Are any MUDs truly free by your definition if I have to invest so much if I want to be competitive?

I've been playing for about 2-3 years now, I think and I challenge anyone to prove to me that I haven't been playing for free or that I haven't been enjoying my time. I'm also not a lone exception by any standart.
Hadoryu is offline   Reply With Quote