View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
Re: Spell Components System

I have a few spells coded already that provide more effect (modified armor based on component), modified effect or character choice rather then randomized (choosing elemental types rather then a system random choice, but allowing for either, for instance).
Crafting and gathering are a large part of this game. I would not be adverse to a system that required characters to seek out others of other professions for needed components.

Preparation is part of what I am aiming for. Choosing what you will need before heading out, as well as a method to limit the number of times a very powerful spell can be cast during a single outting (without heading into a memorization system).
That is what I want.

Spells will carry a boolean of whether a component is needed. If it is the string for the component (and components will carry their own interface for instanceof usage) will be listed in the individual spell's code. My main Spell code (which is extended by the individual spells) will handle the component check and usage if the boolean is true.

If a spell does not require a component, but a component can be used (enhancing, modification, choice, etc.), the boolean will be false, and all "component extra" code will be handled within the individual spell's code.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote