View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 11:43 AM   #22
malaclypse

malaclypse is on a distinguished road
To RikeDeJeanVonLe: I think the reason why numbers are typically removed from Role-play heavy games is that it is an easy fiction-breaker to remove.

Most newbies to the game are going to be looking around for cues as to how to act. Hopefully they'll pick up good habits from the existing players, but this is often to much to hope for. So instead you must present it to them via the code. If they see 5/5hp 5/5mp at every prompt, they're going to start developing dependencies on numbers right away.

If they're worrying about numbers they are going to be much less immersed than the person who is worrying about how the character is behaving.

To address prof1515's issues with ooc channels: I have to say I agree with OnyxFlame on this one. As long as the ooc channels can be toggled on or off, I think its a highly beneficial feature for a game. It builds community, as well as keeps players from leaving your game to go chat somewhere else. Everybody, every once in a while, wants to just relax and chat. And this is especially true for the players who have been with a game for the longest, and these also tend to be the most valuable players for a game to have.

-Ryan
malaclypse is offline   Reply With Quote