Thread: $ Info, le Poll
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2002, 10:07 AM   #33
Reason

Reason is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I feel like a traitor saying this since I mainly play a p2p, but I see one big problem with this whole thing.  Because of it, I really wish there could be two separate lists, one for free and one for p2p.  If that isn't possible, I think people should be able to just do a search and get only a list of free games.

I've always seen this place as a chance for small, free MUDs to get some exposure and maybe find new players. It's turning into just free advertising for the p2p games instead.  Add to that people like Seraphina posting insults about the little guys and how they don't have players because they aren't good enough and I think a lot of people are going to be leaving.

I'm not sure if this is a good comparison or not but it's the one that comes to my head.  I think of it like a community theater, with room for 10 plays to be held at the same time.  Who gets to use the stage depends on how many people want to see the show.  Even though the theater itself gets no money for the plays, it does advertise for all of those that are showing each week.

In the beginning a few small groups write and direct their own plays and everybody has a chance to be the star for the week.  Things would change totally if a Broadway play decided to compete there with well known stars and directors and expensive sets.  Since the theater doesn't charge these people could give a discount on tickets and still make the same amount they would at a larger theater in addition to having the free advertising.

Most of the people who pay to see these plays would be paying anyway, but it still hurts the little guys.  Fewer of the free plays would get to be onstage and those who do may have to resort to getting a few better known actors and paying them or spending money in other ways to compete better which would mean having to charge for their own plays.  

It also hurts the people who go to watch the plays.  There might be some great actors, some potential hit plays and even some very talented directors who never get the chance to be seen because they didn't get the votes.  More and more people would start going to the commercial plays because they assume they're better even when that's not the case.  Eventually the theater would be nothing but an Off Broadway theater who gives free advertising and gets nothing in return, leaving the original groups to hold their plays in a shed behind the main building.

I know it isn't quite that bad - yet, but I do see it as a potential problem.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote