View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Orson Scott Card obliterates J.K. Rowling

I'm not really a Harry Potter fan (though I applaud Ms. Rowling's tremendous success) but I've heard this criticism before and don't give it much credit. It comes across as slightly homophobic to me.

Why do you need to explicitly say that a character is gay any more than you have to explicitly say a character is straight? Lack of information isn't the same as saying the character is straight, and assuming that someone who isn't explicitly declared as gay must be straight is silly and serves only to try (incorrectly) to paint gay people as aberrant or deviant from some false, imagined 'normal' state of humanity.

Just my opinion, obviously, but Orson Scott Card comes across largely as jealous and bitter to me in his criticisms of her (likely because he's sold a tiny fraction of the # of books she has).

--matt

P.S. Purely irrelevant but kind of cool: The offices I rented for Sparkplay (the spin-off company from Iron Realms) were occupied for 10 years before us by the production company owned by Chris Columbus, who directed and produced the first two Harry Potter movies....the hooks from what were presumably lots of movie posters are still on the walls)
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote