Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 AM   #54
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: What types of games are impacted the most by permadeath?

Re: Silv ... I understand what you are suggesting. I agree with some of it, though I'm still fairly fuzzy on the benefits of circumstantial permanent death. Premeditated scheming politics could be said to even be enhanced by permanent death - when your life is at stake, I definitely believe that you play more carefully and craft more elaborate plans. The idea that anyone could walk up to anyone else at any given time on an RPI and kill them is a little off (for most). If it was done without IC reason or proper roleplay, it would become an investigated issue on most. If it was done around v/NPCs or other PCs, it would almost certainly result in the capture of the law-breaking offender. If it is done out in the wilderness, it is fairly easy to escape and report the attack. There's actually a surprisingly few number of "twink" player-kills that I have seen. Many RPI players even recognize the wonderful roleplay value of a "good death scene" and help give that to their victims when possible, even in murder. What you're suggesting happens, rarely, but always gets reported and handled by the staff.

It's all about the environment and community that you foster. For players who don't respect the culture of separating IC/OOC and "twink" kill other characters, they tend to be unable to have long-lived characters or find themselves in position of enough power to kill other characters to begin with. They tend to go play other games, where death means less and they can find success more easily.

I'd agree, most of the time. The PCs that last longer than a year on the RPI MUDs that I have staffed for are (almost always) without fail social characters. Crafters, city-workers, etc; they are those who don't have reason to involve themselves with potentially deadly politics, dangerous adventures or war. It seems like a boring way to play (to me, personally), but there are quite a few players out there who prefer a purely social/safe role.

Of course, there are no entirely safe roles on Atonement; the life/death of the entire playerbase is oftentimes left in the hands of the PCs to work together in aims for survival. Even our social/crafting/safe roles are still kept aware of the fact that death could come knocking on the door to Deck One at any time if the characters become complacent.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote