View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #57
Vanth

Vanth is on a distinguished road
Re: What types of games are impacted the most by permadeath?

If many characters lasted longer than a year, I would agree with these statements. If a few characters lasted longer than a year, but most lasted a month or three or five (as is the case in Armageddon) then I think these statements are false.

No, old players definitely have an advantage over new players, even if they are both creating new characters (btw, I sometimes find it hard in your posts to understand what you mean because you seem to be using the term 'player' to mean both 'player' and 'character'). Old players know where to find things in game and generally how the gameworld works - an example of this in Armageddon is that old players don't try to play characters that have ideals better suited to Tolkien-esque high fantasy or modern-day life.

In Armageddon, old characters may, or may not, have an advantage over new characters - power is as much a function of the social game and karma, as it is of skill development.

Perhaps you shouldn't make blanket statements about games that you haven't played in years, and from the sound of it, didn't play for very long to begin with.

Yes, sometimes new players get their characters killed quickly. If you read the game documentation and follow the recommendations we make about your first characters, this will happen much more rarely. But if you're going to get butt-hurt about your character dying, you're probably not well-suited to a permadeath game.
Vanth is offline   Reply With Quote