View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #42
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

It's not possible to abuse a global OOC channel if none exists. Abuse via other means is still possible. But abuse via a global channel is not possible if there is no such feature available.

It presents one less feature typically used to discuss game mechanics in non-RP MUDs. While the intent may not be to allow such use with a global channel, the fact that many H&S MUDs use those channels to discuss game mechanics can lead to the thought that the presence of such a channel in an RP MUD is there for the same purpose.

"Snooty and superior" is an opinion that is entirely dependant upon perspective. As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission." I can not speak for all RPI MUD administrators or players, but I personally have no intention of making anyone feel inferior through the use of the term RPI. I'm willing to wager the same would be said by many others as well.

That falls into the realm of player quality, something which is very difficult for a staff to control short of possibly driving out those unwilling to adhere to game policy by punishing them. Unfortunately, many games' administrators are unwilling to do this. I personally was not one such adminstrator and did issue a number of player bans during my time on the staff of another RPI when I caught players engaging in such policy violations. I've had at least one player who did not know my staff identity once say that while [my staff identity] was considered a hard-ass, they were encouraged to think less in terms of game mechanics and OOC use as a result of it. Do not suppose that just because many players are over-eager to discuss game mechanics that all share this tendency. All do not. In fact, I know a few, myself included, who get rather irritated when such questions are repeatedly brought up.

It's not about RP being "intensive". The code design is. The "intensive" in Role-Play Intensive does not refer to the role-play. You're using the word out of context, applying the adjective to the wrong noun. Sealing an envelope is labor-intensive work. But it's hardly "intense" labor. Likewise, it's not the role-play which is intense. The MUD however may be Role-Play Intensive even if all the role-play is itself mundane. Role-Play Intensive is akin to Role-Play-Centric as opposed to Intensive-Role-Play.

That really seems to be the misunderstanding which lies at the root of the issue: a tendency to apply a subjective use of the word to describe the role-play rather than the intended objective use of the term to describe the code and world design.

Take care,

Jason
(thank goodness my head cold or flue or whatever it is has begun to ease or all this reading and typing would be creating havoc on my eyes *grin*)
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote