Thread: SEX!
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #104
Shane

Shane is on a distinguished road
Faith is a relative thing. I have more faith in a concrete bridge than some of these rickety wooden things I sometimes find myself driving over out in the country. I think your charcterization of faith as some absolute reliance on fanciful theories spun from nowhere is pretty much your own invention. I don't know many people outside the vocal anti-Christian community that believe this, much as I know very few outside the vocal atheist community (a separate but similar and included group from the former) who compare all of human religion to belief in invisible pink unicorns, for example. I couldn't tell you how many times I have heard that tired comparison, and all I can tell you is if religion was invented, it most certainly was not by me.

I "assume", as you choose to phrase it, that all people have control over their feelings by virtue of having control of their attitudes, much as I do. One could argue that people do not have control over being disgusted by people having sexual relations with kids, yet it was pretty common in ancient Greece for men to do with teenage boys things that would get them landed in jail in modern times. It seems that suddenly the flexibility of cultural mores is now in question since this particular cultural phenomenon we are speaking of now is one that Christianity would indeed have a hard time encompassing, what with all the nastiness in the Bible about putting homosexuals to death in the Old Testament and the insistance in the New of maintaining sexual purity even though most every other purity expactation of the Jewish religion seems to have been abandoned.

More than anything though, what I believe is that to state that there is no problem with a person who has no ability whatsoever to relate sexually with a member of the opposite gender is "normal" in any useful medical sense of the term is just a gross fabrication. At its worst, it results in people who feel they are trapped in a body of the wrong gender to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars so that they can, essentially, become a person trapped in a mutilated and drug-altered body of the wrong gender built to vaguely simulate the other gender.

And oh yes, I have met some transexuals. No, they are not people trapped in the wrong body as far as I can tell. The difference in simple behavior between the typical transexual I have met and any woman are quite marked. Most of them, alas, could also kick my backside, as the drugs they take do not serve to change the composition of male musculature that was formed earlier in their natural development, for example. They are without a doubt men trapped in the fantasy of being trapped in the wrong body, and though I am not sure what the cure might be, I know it's not just another choice that people can make that has no real consequence to themselves or those around them.

Admitedly, I have not met a female-to-male transexual that I know of. Not sure if they tend to pull off the behavior better than men going the opposite direction do or not, but then again all of this is anecdotal as no doubt someone will complain soon enough.

Medical attitudes towards sex in the enlightened 21st century are pretty spooky to a simpleton like me.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote