Thread: Rapture license
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2003, 05:39 AM   #81
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
The_Logos stated "Certainly there are other mud engines available. However, there are not, to my knowledge at least, other available mud engines available that have proved themselves to nearly the same extent in a commerical environment"

Which you then reinterpreted as "I'm quite aware of many good bases to work from for a hobbyist.  As logos noted, none of these have a proven track record of years in a commercial environment supporting several hundred simultaneous users."

My response was appropriate to your version of what he'd said, but rather irrelevent considering what he actually said.  That was the point I was trying to illustrate.

Diku II (aka VME) includes a fully embedded scripting system called DIL.  I have no idea how powerful it is, but I do know that it covers the creation of things like skills and spells, in addition to the usual OLC-style functionality.  Pricing is $99.95 for a non-commercial license, or $899.00 for a business license.  No royalties, although you have to pay for upgrades (if you want them) after the first year.

I've no idea, sorry.  You'd have to contact Skotos Tech I guess, as they appear to hold the exclusive rights to it now.  I know they posted a draft non-commercial license here, which might give you a rough idea of what to expect:

You've already answered your own questions about Cold in a later post.

You responded to my comments about the cost by asking how long it would take a company to develop an engine themselves.  The relevence of my above point was that I don't NEED much information about the engine to know that it will still take a huge amount of time to develop the mud.  Getting an engine is certainly a headstart, but shouldn't be compared with the development of an entire game (as you implied by asking about the progress of my own project).

Stilton asked earlier in the thread how long it would take to develop an engine completely from scratch.  Well, it took us around five weeks to attain the above level of talker functionality (ie create a character, walk around rooms, talk to people, etc) under similar conditions (two programmers in their spare time).

And yes, I'm sure that your engine provides lots of other nice functionality as well.  But the point I'm trying to stress is that the engine is a pretty small part of the overall mud.

One last point: I have no problem with people running commercial muds.  My interest here lies purely with the licensing issues of the Rapture engine (which was after all the original subject of the thread).  And if people don't want such issues discussed, posting them to a discussion forum is really not the best thing to do.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote