View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #20
tavarilyn

Home MUD: Beleriand MUSH
tavarilyn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tavarilyn
Re: Are there any MUX/MUSH/MUCKs that are active 24/7 and don't have permadeath?

Omera -

I'm glad to see someone here mention a MUSH as an option. I'm new to these boards and play MUSHes only, as I've never been able to get into MUDs. So I'll give you a list of place I've played where Fighting/Combat is only an option and never required. All scenes between you and anyone else are roleplayed and there are extensive HELP and NEWS files to get you started out. Chargen is typically small and player-oriented, offering a "way around" if you're familiar with MUSHes and their command structure.

Elendor - Elendor is a MUSH based on JRRT's Lord of the Rings. It is set in the time period of the War of the Ring and is HUGE, both in player-base and rooms. Many of the cultures from the books are available for you to become a part of. This MUSH was created back in 1990 and has been growing ever since. On average, you can find anywhere from 30-100 people connected at any given time of day. You can connect there as a Guest character if you would like to view/experience the MUSH viscerally but not be an active part of it. Address: (webpage), mush.elendor.net:1892 (MUSH connect)

Beleriand - Beleriand is a MUSH also based on JRRT's universe of Middle Earth. It is set about 3000 years before the War of the Ring in what is known as the 1st Age of Middle Earth. If you are familiar with the Silmarillion, that would be the time period in which this MUSH is active. This game is much smaller than Elendor by about 1/2 to 1/3, but most of the players on Bel have at least some tie to Elendor in some way. We're in a rebuilding phase and could use good, solid, active players who want to help out. Address: (webpage), middleearth.net:4739 (MUSH connect)

PernMUSH - Pern, commonly called "NC", is the "Elendor" of Pern-based MUSHes. It is based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels and is set entirely on the Northern Continent (hence the NC designation). Here there be Dragons! There is an active set of Searches going on, usually one every few months, so no matter when you join, you can usually get aboard Search (if that is your interest). If Dragonriding isn't your cup of tea, the Holds and Halls would be _more than happy_ to have another Crafter or Holder to add to their ranks. Even the Weyrs recruit non-riding personel. Not to put to find a point on it: there's something for everyone here. Also featuring a large playerbase. Also a long-standing MUSH. One of the few that has AM's permission to run. Address: (website), pern.mccr.org:4201 (MUSH connect)

A few parting thoughts. This is a small list of the MUSHes I've played on over the last decade and a half. A great deal of MUSHes get a bad rap here because they are entirely player-driven. These three sites in particular have a lot of great people, a lot of HELPFUL people who are interested in getting new players up and running. If you (or anyone!) happen to have questions about MUSHes that are listed here or not... please ask. :> Thanks again for your time!

Sincerely,
Tavarilyn @ Beleriand, Taelyn @ Elendor, Dhinara @ NC
tavarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote