Thread: Botting - why?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #23
Will

Will is on a distinguished road
Re: Botting - why?

When it comes to content, that's one way to go, but you could also just make repeating content worthless or design it so that it's less of a one-shot quest-type thing and more of a means through which to introduce and access permanent features. For example: an automated quest to find a long lost spell library or an altar that recharges magic items. The first time through maybe you gain a reward for solving the puzzle, but thereafter it's just the path to a new, interesting and useful destination. But then, maybe this is exactly the type of solution you're talking about.

When I think about botting, though, I'm more worried about automation of regular advancement and creation processes, and I don't see how to take the repetition out of those activities. Unless you want players flying up through the levels or glutting the game with crafted items, there has to be a time element involved and I don't see any way that that doesn't mean some degree of repetition.

Legislating automation is a major pain in the ass. Been there. Done that. It can lead to some unhealthy player relations.

I agree that the best way around botting is making it less attractive, but I would rather dangle a carrot than wield a whip. As I've said, unless you limit game access to a custom client without scriptability, you will never eliminate botting. (And even then there are ways to get it done.) But I think if repetitive activities are fun and offer attractive advantages to interacting live, you can greatly reduce the desire to script.

One of my main goals has been to exclude stupidly monotonous stuff. It has opened up other avenues of delivery for the products of these activities and really enhanced other parts of my game.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote