Thread: The NPC Cast
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #6
Maraz

Maraz is on a distinguished road
I roleplayed an NPC bodyguard for my character on one MUD. Although I'm not sure I'd call it an NPC character, because the character was played by me and created by me. It was done through emotes, and mentioned in my description. Most people seemed to think it was good, and although I was by no means the first person to do this on that MUD my use of a supporting character promted a lot of other players to do a similar thing and I'm often creditted as having begun the practice (although amongst many of my roleplaying friends there it was quite common practice). I don't know why my experience was a success, perhaps the MUD I was playing was right for it or perhaps because it worked well with the character I was roleplaying.

I think it would be a good idea to establish a main character before introducing an emoted character, and also being certain of the accepted codes of behaviour on the particular MUD you are playing. However I think that emoted characters can add to roleplay when done apropriately. I'd like to see more MUDs where you could control secondary characters (Is NPC really the right term if there is a player controlling them?) as part of gameplay, which seems to be what prof1515 has mentioned. Personally I'd like to see systems to hire henchmen/companions, so knights could have squires, mercenaries have hired muscle, wizards have familiars etc. This is the most common use of emoted characters I have seen, and it should be easy to implement (I believe there are a number of MUDs which do implement this in different ways).
Maraz is offline   Reply With Quote