Thread: Fall Back areas
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2002, 06:22 AM   #4
Ntanel

Ntanel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Ntanel
In late 1996, on George Greer's old MUD called Dragon'Spire, I started an area called Tri-City. As many know, George is one of the Circle Developers.

Anyways, I got the area from his MUD after I had left and decided to run my own MUD. There was a 6 month gap between me working on DS and wanting to run a MUD. Tri-City has 1000, rooms and whenever I feel like building, but have no idea what, I work on that area.

I have had it for something like 5 years and it has 500, or so, completed rooms and a few hundred mobs and objects. My only major hurdel is that his levels were 250, and mine are 100, for mortals.

Try to imagine the issues of having to convert a Circle area to a SMAUG area format by hand. A client called AEX was created by Shogar, specificly for the purpose of changing area formats between codebases.

Anyways, Tri-City gets a little modifcation now and again, it is one of the few areas I keep on the Embassy. Areas on there are basicly mine and some staff's areas. Areas generally not open to the public or in release.

Since we are not open to the general playing public, we do not have to worry about people dying and losing equipment. It is a good thing, we still have mobs who think they are on a MUD with 250 mortal levels. Even if thier level is 100, they are still rather buff and can snap a mortal or immortal like a twig.
Ntanel is offline   Reply With Quote