View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 12:19 AM   #146
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Once again, someone decides to get personal. It's getting very tiring.

In reply to your various 'points': Mentioning something doesn't make it exist, and in any case, while it's the word 'meaningful' in 'meaningful community' (read the whole post) that I'm concerned with. There's a MUD community in the same sense that there's a community of PC users. It possesses very little community consciousness. This SITE has a community, as I've mentioned, and it's a meaningful one, but is a miniscule percentage of MUDers.

I didn't say your opinions don't matter, unless you hold the opinion that you have some right to a free MUDing experience, in which case yes, your opinion doesn't matter to me (even if you can play my games for free, which is a privilege, not a right.)

I don't think I'm better than anyone else as a person. I don't even believe in the idea of being "better" than someone, as that makes no sense to me. I do think I'm better at running a
text MUD than many, but not all, people, and I think the evidence bears that out. Does that mean, or even imply, that I'm better than you? Of course not. Does it mean that my opinions on the subject of running a text MUD are likely to contain some validity? Probably, but that's no different from the validity that Kavir's or David Bennet's (Discworld)'s opinions carry as a result of their success.

<not responding to a couple of your comments, as they're content-less>

The ad on Mudconnector has nothing to do with the rankings at this site, which you'd know if you weren't in such a hurry to attack us. In July 2000, we were voted #1 by the users of gamers.com. That ad has been running there far longer than we've been listed here.

As for people hating Achaea, well, if they hate it, I hope they continue to, because our growth has recently really picked up, particularly in the last 3 months.

As for our playerbase, I can see how you're in a position to know a lot more than me about it. Clearly.

As for my responsibility, all my players are customers in my mind, whether they have bought anything yet or not. You sound like quite a bitter person. Did you get banned for misbehaving?

The -only- reason I brought up the 'leader in online games' thing, is because you had poked at us about it first. Shrug. Again, just keep in mind that all these attacks have been started by you and a few others. Stop making me out to be the asshole here.

Finally, if you find our ads annoying, don't click on them. It's pretty simple really. I find a lot of ads annoying. I just don't buy their product. Anyone can claim he or she was voted #1 you know. I'm sure some group of people somewhere can be polled that will vote you #1 if that's what you need to do. The job of our advertising isn't to make you happy. It's to get people to play Achaea, and the ads work.

--matt