Thread: auto maps
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2002, 06:32 PM   #9
cronel

cronel is on a distinguished road
I admit I don't fully understand that, mhc... what is "N" if the map is 2D?

The point of the exercise (for me) is to make a map, not a drawing of the nodes. I.e. This node here has two connections to two other nodes, one labelled "east", the other labeled "closet", and sure, it can easily be drawn. But is it a map?

For example, there's a room with the eight standard exits n,ne,e,etc, and they all point to the same room. Or, room A northeast exit points to room B, and its southwest exit points to C. But B's southwest exit also points to C. The nodes aren't hard to visualize. But the maps?

Basically I agree with Eddy's point; the rooms model space, but very weirdly as we all know. Maps can easily be drawn of Real Space, say the plans to a house, for example. Groups of rooms can easily be drawn as nodes, since that's what they are. But as they deviate from a "realistic" model of some piece of space, it will be harder to draw them as a map. Perhaps even impossible in some cases, or at least I don't see how.

What I said above and now Eddy I think concurs is that you can drop some of the assumptions for a map and make it approach a node drawing a little, but still come up with something with some semblance of a map. For instance,some assumptions are:

* All rooms are the same size and shape
* All exits have the same length and shape
* All exit "directions" (east) translate to
 the same map direction (to the right)

--cronel
cronel is offline   Reply With Quote