Thread: You
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 08:17 PM   #22
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
Do you intentionally not read what I've stated, or do you have some interest in trying to make me look bad? I will requote what I stated before, which this "bad thing" quote is coming from:

Under normal circumstances. Meaning without the use of such a system as dynamic room descriptions. Under those circumstances use of the word 'you' is, in my opinion, a bad thing. I never said dynamic room descriptions are a bad thing. I said use of 'you' is a bad thing, EXCEPT (possibly) in the case of something like dynamic room descriptions. Which, based on the information provided, I think it is safe to say this person does not have those. I also stated it was my opinion. You trying to reapply what I said to something else does not change what I said, or the meaning of what I said.

Hunger is based on factual information.

Yes, and the player controls the character and interprets what the character feels. If you want to create an AI system, boot the player altogether and let the world run by itself. If I want to play a role I want to be in control of that role. I don't need a computer to tell me how I should react. That is MY choice to make.

EXACTLY! The PLAYER perceives. The character observes. That's the key point. The above is factual information. If a character is blind they can't see thus the character observes no visual information for the player to perceive and, in turn, interpret. The character is short, they character looks up at other characters who are taller. The character observes, the player perceives and interprets.

Here, I disagree. Fear is an emotion, and emotional reactions are up to the player to determine the reaction. However, we're rather off-topic now (we're now discussing player versus character reactions, as opposed to building ... and while the two are SOMEWHAT related they're not in the context of this post). If you'd like to continue discussing reactions of players versus characters, I would suggest starting a new thread.

In any case, I've given my opinion (which was the point of this thread), so unless something else catches my eye I think I'm done. G'day.
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote