View Single Post
Old 10-12-2002, 10:07 AM   #103
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I guess I've just never played any of the text games in which competing against other players needed "equal terms" in ordered to be enjoyable.

I have issues against paying cash for in-game benefits because I prefer a more intensive roleplaying atmosphere, and if, in ordered to enjoy the RP of your character, you need some "thing" as a tool that can only be purchased for cash, it would lower your enjoyment.

I don't give a hoot about equal terms. In fact, I think the concept is hogwash. Your three tabletop players can compete against each other. What rule in tabletop requires that they compete against the entire group? In fact, what rule requires that they compete against each other at all?

But enough with the analogies. None of them apply to online multiplayer text games anyway and all it does is derail the initial thread.

I think adding a dollar symbol is a good idea, for any game that requires cash for any portion of in-game enjoyment. Whether it's a commercial game, or whether the cash only goes to pay the coder and maintain the server and database, or anything inbetween.

I don't think it's necessary to have special symbols to differentiate the *types* of pay-to-play games, only to signify whether or not some sort of coin is required for some sort of in-game enjoyment. If the game owner wants, they can explain right there in the Info thing what type of P2P it is.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote