Thread: RP Pet-peeves
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 05:31 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Some of my RPing pet peeves...
Regarding Realedazed's reference to the whole "Find out IC!" stuff - totally with you on that, though I'd use completely different examples. The examples you mentioned, I would definitely prefer to find out IC.

If I know that something can -easily- be found out IC, and that the "something" is an IC something (as opposed to ooc syntax, or stat info, or that kind of thing) I would hope the player at least -tried- to find out IC before asking for OOC help. If they're not even trying to find out IC, they get no sympathy from me. If they did try, and failed, then rather than tell them the answer, I would probably help guide them in the direction that would lead to their discovering the answer for themselves.

Such as - "You can "talk" to the shopkeeper, and he often has information about the kinds of things you're looking for." or "You found that thing on the west side of town, but if you look in other parts of town you'll find references to it that will help."

Telling someone "Find out IC" is useless and annoying. But giving someone the answers to IC info in an OOC way is not going to help the player learn and won't inspire them to find their own way. The compromise - guiding them to IC resources so they can find out for themselves without going crazy in the attempt - seems the answer here.

Another RP pet peeve - F-Me PCs. Man are there not enough of those types already? Some people just make ya wonder if the only reason they show up in the game is to play the one-handed-typing game. Even if they aren't..well jeez, if that's all you know how to RP, people are going to conclude that you're on the prowl. And maybe some people like that. I don't.
Just keep them sticky fingers at your crotch and away the heck from me, please.

Another RP pet peeve - people who don't even attempt to take their surroundings into consideration. Example:
It is night. Sue is at the bar. The room description says it's a HUGE bar, always crowded at night, and the bar is up against the southern wall.
Joe walks in from the entrance at the north wall, all the way across the room from this huge, crowded bar. Immediately upon entering, Joe whispers something to Sue, without any emotes, socials, nothing. Just - walk in, whisper. BOOM.

And I gotta wonder - how did this guy get all the way across the room, see that Sue, who was facing the opposite wall and therefore had her back turned to him, was who he wanted to talk to, and do all this in less than a single second upon entering?

I mean - even just a momentary pause, with maybe a "emote looks around and heads to the bar" is enough to satisfy. In an RP game, there's no reason to -not- at least remind yourself that the room descriptions exist for a reason, and take them into consideration.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote