View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 01:04 AM   #198
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

My point is that you are all saying it's okay for stock muds to use the term. Even though RPI's are a small niche in the community, they just wanted to be left alone with the term that they originated a decade (or longer) ago. The fact that you all just want to blatantly use it doesn't say much about you or your muds. It's essentially the same as any other term that gets mis-used anywhere, it doesn't have to just apply to MUDs, but the easiest analogies would be MUSHes or DIkU's. But we're comparing codebases now to simply a set of features within a mud. The problem is the RP in the word, "Roleplaying" is the big thing now for muds to try and draw people to them, yet in my mind the best roleplaying you can find is at RPI muds, why? Because the set of features forces you into a realistic setting of roleplay, where there are no distractions. I don't care if it sounds elitist, everyone wants their mud to draw "Roleplayers" but they can't even say they've tried a true RPI mud.

This isn't just a personal preference like everyone has been saying in this whole thread. Fir me from an actor's standpoint I can firmly say that I could never get in-character on stage if people were constantly talking about other things while I was acting (OOC channels), or if I saw somebodys real name all the time instead of their character (Short Descriptions/Main Descriptions). I can continue making analogies like these ones but honestly it won't matter because you guys trying to defend the use of RPI to anyone who wants to use it fail to realize it. Until you can say you've tried an RPI mud and have honestly tried to apply yourself to it's rules, boundaries, limitations, or whatever you want to call them, you'll never understand the viewpoint of an RPI player.