View Single Post
Old 03-28-2003, 03:33 AM   #9
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
We are a H&S Circle that encourages roleplay and this topic is very near and dear to my heart. We've enabled a remort system that simulates 300 levels by achievement of 100 levels, pesonalized testing to progress to 101 which allows you to restart at 1-100 again and again until finally level 103. By experience points to earn, testing requirements and redundant kill limiters it's not an easy process even for the so-called 'techno-mudders.'

We've active clans enabled and working on guilding systems but since not a PK, that's a pretty useless functional tool except to create strong alliances and friendships among people both on-line and off-line. Tough zones need groups of mortals in order to beat it, you rely on friends.

We've expanded the world by adding new zones, added in quest zones, limited maximum attainable stats to include hitroll and damroll, <phew> the list goes on and on...

Some of my peers are of the opinion the super mortals (103 Avatar in our case) have won the game, they get their name on a sign somewhere and should either A) recreate or B) go away. I'm sorry, I don't agree with that philosophy and I'm constantly striving to fix it. You just don't throw away a 103 after all that work and you have strong friendships. If bored, you cause trouble OR you power-level friends and multies, often both.

I take it as a personal challenge to try and 'out-think' and 'out-maneuver' these super morts by virtue of enhanced mobs and quests. We've created super zones with the goal being the mobs think and react to the players actions with reciprocal skills and spells via dg_scripts. Interactive, enhanced mobs plus room complexity plus embedded cross-zoned quests for almost 'one-of-kind' types of equipment (by description) seems to have quelled the tides of rebellion so far.

I know it's only a temporary fix and we're working on mort assemblies for spells and equipment to add sort of a MUSH flavor and another way to earn a certain 'unique' status by individual player. My personal project is composite mobs where by all visual indications you are fighting one mob but in reality it can be as many as I wish of varied levels and abilities.

They all hate me now.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote