View Single Post
Old 02-11-2003, 08:17 AM   #11
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Well since this seems to have run it's course I'll post my thoughts on the results.

The roleplay is easier to believe option won by quite a margin. Believe it or not this actually suprised me, since it was an option I thought up at the last minute. I suppose I can definately see everyones point, and my lack of ever finding any decent RP on a graphical game probably helps back this up as I've nothing to compare it to.

In a respectable second place is the sense of community. Now, is this the sense of community at a particular MUD, or the MUD community in general? I guess I should have been more specific. Still, I can see the answer being "both". I've always enjoyed being part of a MUD and working with other players and staff to make the game better, and since broadening my horizons a little I've found the MUD community in general to be a good thing.

They're free MMORPG's! Of course this is a factor, why pay for something when you dont have to? I've had more fun playing some of the MUD's I've been a part of than I ever did playing Ultima Online or Earth & Beyond. Admittedly I didn't pay for E&B as I was beta-testing, but still. The combination of the other factors in the list make MUD's a more fun place to be for me.

Quests are better run came next. I must admit I expected this to be a bigger factor. Quests tend to be so much better on a MUD with 50-200 people rather than an MMORPG with 1000's. Easier to interact with, happen more frequently, and the talent of some of the quest writers for creating interesting stories never ceases to amaze me. They ought to look some of these guys up for Dungeons & Dragons The Movie 2! (Maybe thenit wouldn't be as crap as it was).

I was extremely suprised to see replayability garner only one vote! If I had voted on my own poll I would have gone for this option. Why? Because unlike most games I buy for my PC, the games I've played over my MUD'ding career have kept me interested for YEARS. Always something new to do, and every time you get a character to the highest level and start again there are many new faces to RP with. I agree with all the other options, but for me replayability is the factor (based in many ways on the others) that keeps me coming back for more.

No-one voted for there being enough people to go round in the world to play any type of game. Curious, I would have thought this statement was partially true. I've met some people who enjoy the most atrocious games in my lifetime!

Well, those are my final thoughts on the subject. Many thanks to all those who took time to vote and post replies!
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote