View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 09:25 AM   #3
kaylus1

Many people will probably agree with your friends in that most people don't want to encounter the same BS in a game they are playing to have fun as they do in real life.

Me, on the other hand, I like a bit of realism in my games as long as it is not too overdone. If you make it so your days are 30rl minutes long and I have to eat and drink 3 times a day I am going to be annoyed and quit playing. Some players will just make triggers to deal with it.

It is really slightly unfeasible with time restrictions like that, or for that matter most time restrictions on muds. If you are going to fit something into that time schedule then you would probably need to accomodate for the other irregularities. Esp. Time related.

As to the combat, I am (re)coding the combat system (for the 100th time), and have basically added what you are talking about though to a lesser extent. Semi-permanent body-damaging and disfiguring are part of it, which can suck if you lose the ability of using your left hand during combat, due to a wound.

I am trying all that I can to add as much realism to the game without underlying the main goal of it. FUN.

Also remember depending on your setting the laws of reality may exist differently and be wholly independent of ours. If I'm using a medieval fantasy setting with healers, then someone could possibly get a hand lopped off and lose it, so have to get an orc hand or little hobbit hand put on in place.

Even though it may be far-fetched here, who's to say in that world it is not common place. Or that it's not commonplace to pull an intenstine out, tie it to a spiked ball and call it a flail? Just kidding.. but anyways..