View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: Who's Watching the Watchers?

Honestly, a good question.

As a seasonal at the IRS, and even though I don't use a Computer there in my work, it is manditory that I go through a briefing on them--especially reguarding Unauthorized Informaition Access (UMAX) Violations involving accessing accounts in a manner that is not business related.

The Computer Systems which the Clerks use are monitored by TIGFA (I'm not sure what it means, but they are Treasury Agents with full powers of Investigation and Arrest), who will drop a line to the violator some three months later asking them why they commited a UMAX Violation.

Now, whole areas of the Campus are video monitored. But considering how TIGFA works, I would suspect that those who watch the watchers would be whatever Security Company hold the contract to that specific company. They would have 'Squeelers", or Monitoring Programs, which would let them know when an unauthorized access is occuring, log it in their system and then arrange a meeting with the Employee responcible for the violation.

Last year alone some 2000 employees with the IRS got nailed on this, with goodly portion being sent on their way either to the Unemployment line or Federal Prison.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote