View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
MightyK

MightyK is on a distinguished road
The Overpowered Rogue of Awesomesauce Trend

Time for my bimonthly installment of quirky MUD observations.

Input wanted!

Has anyone noticed that rogue and rogue-like classes are generally OP? I am not maligning them as a class, most of my characters are rogues generally... but the thief/rogue archetype has so many things going for it. I admit, lately I don't pick them, because I am simply sick of their RP.

1) They get to be swaggering, aloof, arrogant, and generally "cool" in their RP. They are usually the rebels of the game.

2) They often times get very unique class skills, like sneak, hide, and steal, and backstab that offer unique and extreme benefits in PVP and PVE.

3) In games where they are rolled, they usually have a high dexterity and high strength bonuses.

4) In many many MUDs they are the only class that can duel wield.

5) They are usually the most popular class in these games cause of their "coolness" factors and unique abilities.

6) Thief or rogue-like classes generally constitute the "secret/elite" guilds in MUDs, with annoyingly-good and sometimes game-breaking bonuses.

7) There usually aren't many maluses for the class. For example I have played one MUD where they were sort of glass cannons, with the ability to SOMETIMES one-shot someone if everything went right, but if they tried to go toe to toe witih a Fighter for example, they would get destroyed. However, enough rogues complained (large portion of the playerbase) and they were upped to the point where they could cartwheel around even the brawler-types in toe-to-toe melee, plus they still had their one-shot.

I think that it's best if rogues are treated more like thieves. Thieves should have midling combat skills, be not very strong, be not very fortified. They should never be able to stand with a Knight or a Fighter type in combat. Their benefit should be their unique skills (like steal), scout-like behaviors, and the ability to slip away.

In a lot of places though, they have the best of both worlds.
MightyK is offline   Reply With Quote