View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Re: MCTS - The Mud Client Test Server.

You mean <> tags I think. I believe the main reason for this is that in zMUD/cMUD MXP is always active, and in "open mode". For example you can send "gossip <font face="comic sans" size="20">hey!</font>" to annoy people with zMUD/cMUD client . It is shown even if the MUD doesn't support MXP.

The problem is that if MXP is always active, then you can't assume that the MUD will escape special characters. It most likely does not and you are forced to show "unrecognized tags". Else things like the prompt would be hidden on many MUDs.

Is it nasty implementation? Possibly. What can be done about it? MUDs can implement MXP minimally, and send <ESC>[7z at client connection for example in the login screen. That sets MXP in locked mode which means no tags should be parsed at all.

I think if MUDs follow the specification as much as they can, and properly escape tags then there shouldn't be any huge problems for MXP MUDs. If you look at web browsers they can be pretty forgiving on poorly formatted html. It is similar with zMUD/cMUD.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote