View Single Post
Old 03-16-2004, 10:45 AM   #17
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

(Disclaimer: Please remember that I have already addressed the issue of spam!)
I'm not giving explicit consent, and I don't want to. I'd rather have an atmosphere that anything is permissible so long as it is explicitly not permitted, rather than one that anything that is not explicitly permitted is not permissible. Frankly I find it to be the very picture of a control freak. "You mean players are communicating without my express knowledge or consent?!"

The way I see it, the players took it upon themselves to fulfill a need that would be better served with private channels within the game itself. While the spam factor would certainly tick me off, it certainly would not tick me off enough that I would want to alienate my playerbase for no gain over it, given the alternatives.

If players could circumvent my code, then that code would have a bug that should be fixed no matter what the circumstances. But what we have here is not a circumvention of code, since any code that pretends to enforce some sort of Cone of Silence between players is fundamentally flawed in any form.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote