View Single Post
Old 03-16-2004, 12:48 PM   #18
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
First: Bite me. Ad hominem attacks make you look like an idiot.

Of course. That said, if you're sitting there exchanging chitchat about, say, quest-completion techniques against the mud policy, it's generally going to be too late to move that conversation elsewhere once you discover that the admins were snooping and get hit on the head with a ban-stick. *shrugs* Obviously there are moral issues, I'm just giving the best you can manage control-wise once something like this happens.

I, personally, do not involve myself with muds with tight restrictions on rules... What you develop is a black market, whether it's in quest-solutions or elsewhere, that cannot be monitored, and cannot be controlled, whereas a more open policy seems to fare significantly better. That said, I am offering the best alternative for an admin seeking to retain control, which is the only real reason to deal with this issue at all (aside from the oft addressed spammage).

It was an example. Mud policy, in general, can very easily take on a bunch of stuff, ranging from quest-solutions to profanity. Which ones you want to monitor on what channels is your own business, I just gave the most common one (and, yes, profanity is very commonly monitored on private channels, for better or worse). Further, read my quote a bit farther down.

Obviously they can always take it to AIM. I mean, look at it this way. If you hit the ban-stick as soon as they reveal said program, you lose. If you can get a hold of the program for your own use as far as monitoring (first thing you should try), great, but you still have spam on public channels to deal with. So, then you offer a PRIVATE CHANNEL. I mean, they could've taken it to AIM any time in those previous steps, and any time after this, but what you're doing is attempting to maximize your ability to enforce rules, monitor player activites, etc... There is no be-all, end-all solution, but for an admin concerned about enforcement of policy, it is the best you can try to do.

Let me quote myself again, and maybe you can actually read it this time:

P.S. Apologies for the HTML-age, was thinking TMC, not TMS.
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote