View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 03:42 PM   #139
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
the_logos, in response to Dulan, Aug. 24 2004, 04:24
the_logos, in response to me, Aug. 24 2004, 03:41
----
Trying to patronise people, or calling them silly or delusional in an attempt to diminish their arguments is very bad debate technique. I guess Dulan would call it logical fallacies. I'll just call it very bad form and bad netiquette, and something that certain people, who lack the sense of decency that most people are equipped with, will resort to when they run out of arguments.

You are right about one thing though; There is no point in debating ethics and moral with a person like you. Just as little point as there is in debating music with a tone deaf person or colour schemes with someone that is colour blind. If you lack the properties yourself - or even have no clue about the meaning of the words - you can obviously not debate it.

My comment was not meant as an attempt to debate with you either. I have long since given up any attempt to debate with you, since you always resort to the above methods instead of addressing the real issues. I rather meant it as an alert to the rest of the posters on the list, in case the spam made them miss what type of person you just painted yourself out as.

I don't live in a delusional fantasy. I am quite aware that people exist in the world, who live by the standards: ‘If it is not illegal – do it, and to #### with ethics and moral! If it IS illegal –####, do it anyhow, as long as the profit outweighs the risk of getting sued, or even caught!’

I just don’t assume that everybody is like that. I even believe that the ones that do exist are a very small minority. If they weren’t, the society, as it is, would not exist for much longer. Just as predators would soon be extinct if there was nothing left to prey on.

I believe that most people are decent and honest and have some sort of built-in sense of right and wrong. Calling me delusional because of that belief really tells a lot more about you than about me.

the_logos, in response to KaVir:
---
Again: handing out your own theories of why people disagree with or dislike you, in an attempt of bettering your own case, is equally bad debate technique, especially if you try to present them as facts, not theories.

For your information: I don’t dislike you - (I won’t even use a childish word like hate) - because we once had a disagreement in a discussion about builders. The main object of a Discussion Board is to ventilate different opinions. If only one opinion is allowed, all discussions soon die down. Over the years I have disagreed with a lot of people on these boards – (including KaVir) – and most of us still manage to be civil to each other.  

The reason why you irritate me is your general obnoxious attitude, which you have displayed in numerous cases, here and in other places. For example recently with THIS declaration:

the_logos, in response to KaVir, Aug. 24 2004,04:44
---
Guess what? If you get a reputation for repeatedly insulting and provoking a lot of people, it IS your problem. Not theirs. But I suppose you wouldn’t understand that either.

KaVir to the_logos: Aug. 24 2004,04:19
[quote]Regarding the claims that I attack you whenever possible, I really don't think you're in any position to start pointing fingers.  Indeed, I can't think of anyone on these forums who's provoked or insulted as many people as you have over the last couple of years, and indeed I consider you one of the main reasons for the decline of the quality of posts (a decline which even started to right itself when you stopped posting for a while, but which seems to have continued again now).[quote]

---
Hear, hear! I couldn’t agree more.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote