Thread: Recommand a MUD
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #16
Drealoth

Drealoth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Drealoth
Aardwolf can be fun - really great community. My one complaint about it is that, as far as I can tell, not a ton of grouping goes on, although I haven't superheroed on it yet (my char's around level 100 - level cap is 201, but you can remort like 15 times or so, each time getting more powerful and picking up a new character class (in addition to your old ones)). So far though the game is a lot of grind, and I can't say I'm a fan of the whole inconsistant world thing - there are Star Wars zones, there are Wild West zones, there are Medieval zones and everything in between.

AVATAR mud is in a similar vein to Aardwolf, although set in an entirely medieval (albeit not so serious at times) setting. 50 mortal levels, 999 hero levels, 999 lord levels and 999 legend levels. When you reach lord, you're given the choice to remort into races and classes not available on creation. Lots of grind, but what makes it fun is that groups can get absolutely massive - at lord, groups of 20 people are common (and the only way to do a lot of areas). In the hero levels, most groups consist of 5 - 10 people. Lots of fun, very friendly people, about 100 people on usually. Another great thing is that they have these events called HOGathons (HOG meaning Hand of God) during which you type 'hog' and your hit and damage roll are increased by huge amounts, allowing you to solo even the most difficult mobiles. Now, the fun part is that it doesn't do anything about your armour...

I'd also recommend checking out Shattered Kingdoms. They have the best use of colour that I've ever seen on a mud, and the game is a ton of fun. The game uses as few numbers as possible, although the actual numbers are pretty easy to figure out for the most part. Unrestricted playerkilling sounds cool, and for the most part it's fine because it's a roleplaying MUD, however every so often you end up with some jerk who decides that it'd be fun to kill a level 10 character with his level 40 guy (level cap in the game is 50) for no reason. The other problem is that there are six starting kingdoms, which tends to spread out the player base. 30 people online, divided by six kingdoms becomes 5 people per kingdom, and chances are they aren't near enough your level to group with you, so it can get pretty lonely sometimes. That said, the mechanics are great and it's definitely worth checking out for a few hours at least.
Drealoth is offline   Reply With Quote