Thread: Medievia
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #36
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
You need to cool all this hate towards Medievia down. Try to picture yourself in their situation for a while. When I pondered on these issues some I realized that it might be a tragedy.

If I remember it correctly there were flames towards Aardwolf for accepting donations. It was this entire mess with people threatening that they "broke" the license. Still why did they accept donations? Because without them Aardwolf would cease to exist! It is really that simple. People can't afford the bandwidth cost they get when their MUD gets very popular.

I am going to make a lot of assumptions here to show that Medievia might not be that evil that you think. First remember that Aardwolf accepted donations after the Medievia issues. To be the first to accept "donations" made Medievia look really bad. In fact I believe this was the reason they removed the credits to start with. They couldn't accept donations as a Diku MUD - or they were made to believe that was the case. Assume Vryce had written 200.000 lines of code and consider how you would feel to trash that amount of work. You know you would have to if you couldnt afford to run the game. How certain posters acted at this time would make anyone go crazy. In my opinion Vryce had only one chose and that was to shutdown the MUD and leave the community when he understood he couldnt afford the bandwidth costs. To actually do that though isn't as easily done as said.

I always, sadly, recommend people to stay away from DIKU to avoid issues like these.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote