View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Kaerigan

Kaerigan is on a distinguished road
Smile Looking for a newbie MUD

Hello there, my name is Kaerigan. I've been wanting to get into playing MUDs for a while now but I've never really succeeded. I've tried a few of them, but I've never really gotten past the two hour mark. Maybe MUDs aren't just for me, but I want to give another try. I've played some MMOs (WoW, CoX, LOTRO) but never really felt at home in any of them. And I'm no twitch gamer so the plethora of FPSs out there probably aren't anything for me.

So what am I looking for? Well, as the title says, a MUD suitable for newbies/beginners that haven't got a whole lot of experience with MUDs.

I would like to try roleplaying (something I've never really done before) and I know how serious people are about this (and for good reasons too, it seems like a lot of fun once you get in to it) so I'd like to end up in a game where I can learn how to roleplay properly without destroying others' fun by asking questions.

Content besides fighting mobs would be much appreciated. Some of the games I tried seem to be all about killing stuff and little else. Grinding is no fun, even if it's disguised as quests (I'm looking at you, WoW). Fun, engaging and non-repetitive combat would be a plus.

I'd like a game where I don't get lost. It probably sounds silly, but I have a hell of time trying to navigate in some MUDs. Built in (good) maps can make a big difference for me.

I don't like PKing. If the game has PKing, it should be voluntary, like setting a PK flag or something, I don't know. Maybe my opinions on this matter will change later but as of now I much prefer PvE content.

Also, I don't know how I feel about the whole permadeath concept. But I have never really played a game with permadeath before so I try to keep an open mind about it.

Nice people is always a plus.

Won't mention what games I've played as like I said earlier, didn't really get too far in them so I don't think I should give up on them completely just yet.

Grateful for answers! Also, this is mostly a wishlist. If you think you know a game which only has some of the features mentioned above, feel free to present it.

Last edited by Kaerigan : 05-01-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Kaerigan is offline   Reply With Quote