View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #38
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I've said it before and I'll say it again: It shouldn't be a question of "free" vs. "anything else." It should be a matter of "commercial" and "non-commercial."

IRE runs a business. One of the aspects of its business is to make a profit (whether it does or not is irrelevent, though I believe it does). It is a commercial venture, and it gains its revenue in part from money paid by players for in-game benefits. It doesn't matter that those players can play without paying. It -does- matter that they can get benefits for money, and that some of them do.

The moment in-game benefits become payable via out of game currency, that game ceases to be "completely free to everyone." Because the moment ONE person does pay for an in-game benefit, it is no longer free for that one person. And so - "free" no longer applies to that player, and by extension, no longer applies to that game.

Either it's a commercial game or a non-commercial game. Non-commercial games don't accept money for any in-game benefits. Notice, I didn't say "don't require money." I said "don't accept money." You don't have to "require" money to be a commercial venture. You can merely "allow" it, and you no longer qualify as a non-commercial venue.

So I say, get rid of the whole "free" vs "pay-for-whatever" crap, change the wording to "commercial" vs. "non-commercial," and you've got everything tied up nice and neat in their own appropriate packages.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote