View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #44
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road
Re: Dealing with RP Attention Hogs

Hi Jazuela.

Actually, I think I hit the point right on the head. It is probably because I've been the green eyed person in a very similar scenario before. I've also been on the other side as well (groom/priest/speaker..)

First, I think it is fantastic if you can get 26 people to come to an event and be spectators while four other people roleplay. I personally would be bored to tears, but I'm a confessed RP Action junkie (short and fast poses as opposed to long, detailed and slower pace) I'd like to think if someone told me I was bothering a scene I would change my behavior for that event. In the wedding example, I'd probably go AFK and do something else.

I also would never ask someone to come to a ceremony in game and not want them to participate. I'd actually encourage the behavior you seem to dislike so much.

What I love about RP games is the randomness that other players introduce to the game. Sure, sometimes I find it annoying, but not to the point where I would ever try to curtail it.

What you are describing is what I consider a normal part of the game.

Now, if you said that the green eyed guest ran in and screamed she had just been attacked and tried to draw half the guest away to chase down the imaginary attacker, I would agree 100% that you had an RP hog. (I've played with this type of person too. Every day was a new crisis, and I did have a knight who had to leave an event to respond to exactly this time of activity). And I think I have to agree with Threshold about this time of activity. Either you ICly disrupt the wedding or you OOCly ask the players to pretend it didn't happen.

Again, in my situation, I dealt with it ICly. I followed the person who screamed she was attacked. When we didn't find anyone I began to have doubts about her mental state, which I shared with an Inquisitor whose solution to all problems involved a stake, a pile of kindling and a torch. Sadly, her next character was pretty much the same way

What I think is important is the game clearly defines what it expects from roleplaying. Is there a pose order? How long must you wait before you can pose again? Is there a minimum pose length? Are you expected to pose to every character you pass? In that way players who don't fit your model might be able to self police themselves and find a game where they would be more welcome.

As a player I think your OOC action is limited to a suggestion, followed by a complaint to an admin to really handle it. If a player tries to change another players RP behavior, it probably won't end well. It probably won't end when an admin does it either, but at least its the admin's job.
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote