View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #50
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Dealing with RP Attention Hogs

I'd just like to reiterate a portion of my last comment, because the problem with an RP-hog isn't a conscious desire to take over the scene and dominate all of the attention. RP-hogs believe, with 100% certainty, that they are doing the right and correct thing and are improving the game by contributing to an rp scene. They're not consciously trying to steal the show or post 50 things they think are awesome before anybody has a chance to react. They just honestly don't see the point in sitting quietly with their character while other people roleplay. They're there to participate, add to the scene, and believe people should be thankful for their contribution. I'm not saying they're not selfish, narcisistic hogs in reality, just that in their minds, it's not about "bringing the focus back to me," it's about "I'm here to rp, not idle while other people rp. Time to add something awesome."

You could almost talk sense into most RP hogs if, instead of asking, "Could you demonstrate some basic OOC courtesy by shutting up since this event isn't about you?" you asked, "Could you slow the pace of your poses down to maybe one every 2 minutes for this event? Due to the large number of people here, we want to make sure other people have a chance to react to everything and follow everything that's going on without getting buried by text."
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote