View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #258
Detah

Detah is on a distinguished road
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

This is an easy system. Yes. But it provides no useful information to the mudsearcher. I see two probems with it.

1) 99% of all muds would fall into category #1, essentailly making this an ALL selection anyway. I don't recall ever seeing a mud that outright 'rejected' donations.

2) For simplicity lets say that there are 2000 total muds. And 1750 of them select the first box. [I realize this is not consistent with my 99% statement above. But I think this makes my point nonetheless.] This method actually punishes the paymuds. Suppose I am a potential player and I believe that 'money accepted in some form' (specifically, a pay to register mud) is a signal for higher quality, so I select that option. Now when I get my results I have to wade through 1750 muds, most of which are your garden variety stock muds, with a volunteer staff, no fees, but donations are accepted (with or without some reward). Sure, other selection criterion will narrow the total results, but the free stock muds are lumped in with the quality paymuds. I think this is a waste of time for the potential player. If s/he is searching for a paymud (that is, a pay for registration mud), then s/he can get to your site much faster if you make it a box by itself.

That being said, I still think players should be able to select multiple 'types' in one search, as I stated before. Newworld's proposal with the 6 checkboxes is most appealing.

Detah@Arcania

Last edited by Detah : 08-29-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Detah is offline   Reply With Quote