View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #51
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road
Re: Revolutionary New OLC and Scripting

Err? You quoted me stating that NiMUD was derived from Merc 2.2 not 2.0 and then replied with that.... My quote didn't even mention DG....

Worlds above was never even mentioned by me, I stated it was above it in my eyes.

Then again I'm not convinced that "NIMScripts is far beyond the competition" either, and that was your wording. It might be better suited for some tasks, it may even be a bit better overall, but it is you and not me that is claiming said superiority. As for the comment of Lexi being incomparable due to not being released below are examples of two scripts written in it.

Lexi

The differences aren't gigantic between the two in that example, but the LexiScript is 4 lines shorter than the DG version would be (I wrote a DG version and originally tried posting it but it made this post too many characters for the forum to allow me to post). The main difference in this instance is mostly that DG has no popfront, echoaround2, [#] support, puts %% around commands as well as variables (lexi does not), and uses different syntax to save variables to a players pfile than lexi. Below is another example of lexi, this time doing something DG would have a MUCH harder time being made to do if even possible.

(Note the first comparisons were both written by me, this one was not, and was written by a staff member of AvP.)

Looking at your list:

push(s,v) pushes string v onto stack s
pop(s) pops the top value off the stack and returns it

Lexi has both. DG does not, but it can emulate the behavior of them like this:

Let's use the following string for setup in all of the below scenarios:

set string apples pears oranges

set string peaches %string%

string now equals peaches apples pears oranges

set string %string.cdr%

string now equals pears oranges

set string %string.car%

string now equals apples

You can also use extract to retrieve a specific word from a string like so:

extract word2 2 %string%

word2 now equals pears

Continuing with your list:

lrem(s,v) similar to strp(), removes all occurances of v from s

DG can not do this, I'm less certain concerning Lexi though as I'm not as versed with Lexi as i am DG.

Lexi can do everything else on the list, including these:

foreach(s,c) not implemented, executes code c with %stack% variable s
each(s) not implemented

foreach is in fact used in the above example.

Truly, NIMScript looks decent perhaps better than DG and Lexi, I just don't see it as "far beyond the competition" which is in fact what you advertised it as being.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote